The Tatkal scheme is an Indian Railways ticket booking scheme. This scheme is used at very short notice for booking trips and journeys. This system has been implemented by the Indian Railway Authority in all types of reserved classes on nearly all trains in India.
The Indian Government has set the Tatkal Scheme fees at the rate of 10 percent of the basic fare for the second class and 30 percent of the basic fare for all other classes.
Timings for IRCTC Tatkal Booking
Indian Railways have established the following booking schedules throughout the country:
- Ticket reservations start at 10:00 a.m. the day before departure.
- The Tatkal window opens 1 day in advance for app-based bookings (excluding the day of journey). If your travel date is on the 10th, for example, then on the 8th the Tatkal window will open on the app.
- In particular, the Tatkal reservation is open one day in advance to the current date of journey at 10 AM for AC Classes.
- The reservation at Tatkal is open one day in advance for non-AC(Sleeper) classes at 11 a.m.
- Instead of end-to-end travel, Tatkal Tickets will be provided for the actual travel distance.
- Duplicate Tatkal tickets may not be given except in one event, only if the payment is paid in full along with the Tatkal fee.
- The Tatkal fees are levied without modification in all periods (peak and non-peak).
For identity verification, the passenger shall only provide their identity in one of the following methods:.
- Voter Photo Identity Card
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Photo ID Card
- Student ID Card with photograph
- Nationalized Bank Pasphotograph
- Aadhar card
- Credit Cards issued by banks with Photographs
Credit cards available through banks with photograph. You must provide any one of the the above to prove that you are who you claim to be.
The passenger is required to enter the identity proof type and number for the app-based Tatkal booking.